Tutor: Claire Porter (1 tutorial each term)
Teaching assistant: Eileen Hill
Costume: 18th century polonaise c.1770-1785 with undergarments
- Term 1: Undergarments – Corset and Petticoat
- Term 2: Toile for outerwear
- Term 3: Bodice and decoration
We will be using Jean Hunnisett’s book ‘Period costume for stage and screen‘ to make a costume for ourself.
Outerwear design to be ready for Christmas break. Design should include ‘red, white, blue’. We will need approx. 10 meters of fabric. £150 budget (max).
We have to keep a log book which records our learning, samples, photos, and evaluation (what went well and what went wrong). This should be about 50 percent photos and illustrations to 50 percent writing.
Assessment will be on our log book.
Course consists of 4 units to obtain a BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Fashion and Clothing, these are:
- Unit 7: Developing Pattern Construction Skills
- Unit 8: Developing Sewing Skills for Fashion
- Unit 9: Developing Production Techniques for Fashion
- Unit 10: Fashion Realisation
Additionally we will get the Kensington and Chelsea college certificate in ‘Theatrical Costume’
Hand outs (read for homework):
- Course Handbook
- Contact sheet
- Term schedule
- Directory of suppliers and reading list
- Project brief: Unit 9: Developing production techniques – Technical and practical application.
What we will need for next week:
- seam ripper
- fabric scissors
- paper scissors
- white cotton
- tracing wheel
- carbon paper
- tailors chalk
- 10 meters of medium weight calico or cambric (can be bought from Shepherds Bush – A1 or Classic textiles).