Unfortunately I missed this week, but I was able to look at a few of my class mates notes to come up with adjusting an 18th century corset pattern.
18th Century Corset Pattern
The base pattern we are using is the ’18th Century Corset Pattern’ from ‘Period Costume for Stage and Screen‘.
The pattern when scaled up to full size will fit a size 12 model with the following measurements:
|Under bust||76 cm|
|High hip||87.5 cm|
|Nape to Waist Back||40.5 cm|
At the end of last weeks lesson, we started to scale up the pattern and add the seam allowances.
Needed for next week:
- corsetry fabrics
- corsetry habby and notions
- candle, jar and lighter/matches.
- tracing paper and wheel.
Fabric, trimming and haberdashery suppliers
- Barnett and Lawson
- The sewing chest (online)
- William Gee (Dalston)
- Rolls and rems (Nags head)
- Boning on Ebay.co.uk
Design considerations for the corset
- bias binding
- hand worked eyelets/grommets
- top stitching/hatching stitches/contrasting by hand
- contrasting ribbon for straps
- work on assumption that the corset will be seen and and plan fabrics and trims accordingly.