Over the Easter holiday I managed to get most of the border finished, but spent this class still working on it.
The border design is mirrored at the sides, but at the front and the back I didn’t want it to be symmetrical so I had to spend some time drawing out the design to make sure all the motifs would fit and be well placed.
I really don’t know how I would have transferred the design without the transfer mesh. It is a bit battered now, but really worth the money spent on it (£8 +p&p).
Once I had most of the vine border done, I started on the very bottom border lines. I realise now that these may have had cording in them rather than being quilted. This would have helped to give a nice round shape and would have reinforced against wear.
It was very important that these lines would be level and meet in the right place at the back so I had to be careful when drawing them out. The bottom edge of the fabric was no longer straight, so I could not use this as a guide. I used my patternmaster, the CF and quater lines, and the long mdf planks (I bought for basting) to work it all out and draw level lines.
I found as I was using the quilting frame, it was easier for me to use four needles and work all four rows in the frame area before moving on. In the image below you can see I have done the top three rows and am working on the fourth.