The aim today was to mount all the layers altogether, so that they can be sewn together ready for fitting.
As my top fabric was quite thin, Claire recommended that I should use domette on every panel so the bones would not show. For thicker fabrics, domette might only be required on the front stomacher panel.
First I cut out the domette and top fabric layers, then hand basted those to the drill and lawn layer.
Tips for hand basting:
- do not knot – use a back stitch and cross at corners
- mark breast, waist and other lines by basting. This will help you match the pieces up later and make sure everything it level.
- if there are boning channels make sure you do not stitch though them
- keep flat. This may be hard to do because the multiple layers can be thick, but if you bend the layers the holes the needle make will be offset from each other.
- do a line and then cut the thread. This is because you usually take off lines at different times.
Next week bring:
- basic sleeve block toile
- hooks & bars -size 4 or 5