I had bought some velvet bias binding off ebay, but when it turned up it was the cheap looking polyester type and wasn’t quite the right shade of blue, so I thought as I was running out of time I better make some in the same as the cotton petticoat top fabric.

I got out everything I needed:

  • pattermaster
  • quilting pencil
  • pins
  • scissors
  • fabric
  • 25mm bias maker
  • iron and ironing board
Some of the tools I used to make the bias binding

Some of the tools I used to make the bias binding

Fabric folded at 45 degrees to the grain, ready to mark out

Fabric folded at 45 degrees to the grain, ready to mark out

A few bias strips marked out. Pins are used to make cutting easier.

A few bias strips marked out. Pins are used to make cutting easier.

The strips cut out, still with pins holding the 2 layers together

The strips cut out, still with pins holding the 2 layers together

Stringing the strips together

Stringing the strips together

Two strips sewn together

Two strips sewn together

Using the 25 mm bias maker. I pin the strip to the ironing board to stop it from slipping.

Using the 25 mm bias maker. I pin the strip to the ironing board to stop it from slipping.

pressing the strips to make binding

Pressing the strips to make binding

I knew I had to make enough to go round 240cm circumference of the hem and to bind the 2 x 30cm pocket slits. It didn’t take too long to knock up the 3 meters. Tomorrow on with the binding (by hand).