This evening I set out to put the button hole elastic on to the bodice and add the buttons to the skirt as Claire instructed during our last class:
- cut elastic with one or two holes, depending on the size and stretchyness. Cut half way between the one button hole and the next. You will need one for each bone or seam. I used three on each side. More on the side and back than on the front as most people tend to lean forwards more.
- machine zig-zag stitch the edges to stop from fraying
- use double thread to sew in place
- place them so that they finish 15mm-25mm above the waistband
- during a fitting work out where to place the buttons on the underskirt
- use a flat button on the inside of the underskirt
I had already zig-zag stitched the edges ofthe elastic to stop them from fraying.
Ben helped me during a fitting to mark on the overskirt where the buttons should go.
Once I had rectified my mistake – Button elastic was in action.
Feels like I could be nearly finished with the costume. Only a few more bits to do.