This is how they looked before:
You have to agree they are much more in keeping with the overall design now.
I was pretty confident that I would be able to come up with some good decoration after my cockade experiment. It seemed they are mostly just variations of pleating.
I did a quick bit of research to find out if red, white and blue did mean anything on a cockade in the 18th century. It turns out that the ‘tricolour cockade of France’ was created in 1789 by the Paris militia in response to Camille Desmoulins asking his followers to wear green cockades. The Paris militia’s cockades had blue in the centre and red on the outside.
It doesn’t look like anyone has used red in the centre and blue on the outside apart from the (British) Royal Air Force which of course is much more recent, but probably why it felt more natural for me to set the colours in that order – I am after all a forces brat!
First I wanted to see roughly how big the cockades should be, so I made a quick shape in petersham to place on the shoe.
I knew I wanted at least 2 or 3 tiers, and as all my petershame was 25mm wide at most, I knew I would have to use a base to sew on of some kind. I found some white felt in my scrap box and thought it would be perfect to cut in to circles.
I folded the circles in to quarters so I could find the centre, and then I used a handy large transparent button to make an inner guideline for the 2nd tier.
The blue petersham I had ordered was quite thick, so I didn’t want to ruffle it too much. Instead I decided to make box pleats.
First I used chalk to mark 10mm spacings along the petersham as I wanted to make sure they looked regular.
Next, I worked out I would need 8 pleats to get a circle with a large enough circumference.
For the next tier I wanted to use a different pleat. One where the folds would overlap, but I wasn’t sure how wide the pleats should be and how much they should overlap, so I did another test. Again, I started by marking out spacings, but this time 5mm apart using soluble marker.
I decided I liked the wider pleats where more ribbon was used because you would have folds at the outer edges as well as in the centre. If you didn’t use enough, the outer edge would look taught.
I also tried to end the circle so the join would be under a pleat and not show, and then stitched the edges together.
The centre tier was going to have to be quite small, so I just did a straight stitch 1/4 in from the edge of the red grossgrain and then gathered it in to a circle tying it taught and sewing the two edges together.
This was pretty easy starting with the blue tier, I just pinned it on to the felt and stab stitched in place. Then placed the white layer using the guide I had drawn on to the felt earlier. On the red tier I tried to catch the red ruffles where they touched the felt, so that it would not disturb the gathers.
Would you buy one or would you just make your own? Please let me know
My shoes were now thoroughly dry after dying and had come out quiet well, now it was time to decorate them with the cockades.
I used very strong button hole thread and tried to use the existing holes which were made by the wires holding on the bows I had prized off previously. The uppers of the shoes were very hard to get the needle through, so I had to use my metal thimble to push and the rubber one to help me pull out.
One of the requirements for our costume is that it has red, white and blue. So far I am doing quite well with this as my corset is red and white, and my top fabrics is blue and white. However, ever since seeing rosettes and cockades I really wanted to use them to decorate my costume.
I was even more inspired when I saw these sites:
So I thought I would start to make one myself. Using petersham or grossgrain seemed to be good to use and so I ordered a 25mm mixed colour selection and 5 meters of red, white and blue from Ribbons2U on ebay (good service, arrived quickly).
Looking at the sites above, especially the American Duchess, I thought about using the pin method, but in the end I decided to just start pleating in a straight line, stab stitching through in a similar colour thread. I made sure there was enough fabric in the fold so that I would be able to curve around the centre when I had made enough pleats.
As it was my first attempt, I thought I would use a colour I was less likely to use, but the tier didn’t turn out too bad. I didn’t measure the the intervals for the pleats, I think if I did it would make it look more regular. I would have to add another one or 2 tiers and maybe a button in the centre. Quite happy as a first effort.